One of the best options for your next holiday is the cruising option. A Cruise holiday allows passengers not only the chance to visit new destinations, but to also enjoy the luxury of a floating hotel.
Sometimes though Cruise travellers feel that once they get onboard, they are being inundated with extra costs. This is due to the cruise lines adding more options such as specialty dining and other activities with a separate surcharge if they wish to partake.
Here are the top ten items that will keep your holiday costs down!
1. Expand your Knowledge Not all enrichment classes come with a fee and include more stimulating activities on those days at sea, instead of simply lying by the pool. These interactive classes can range from culinary demonstrations, ice sculpting, how to lose weight safely, learning to use a computer and money saving tips.
2. Eat Eat Eat! The theme restaurants on board might be something to try for one evening, but even the buffet has all kinds of culinary options for one to try. This is the perfect opportunity to sample a fare that one never gets a chance to do so at home. Cruise ship dining menus offer everything from the mundane to the exotic. There will always be something that’s unusual to try for free.
3. Get Physical A good way to keep off weight and get a workout is by heading to the gym. Don’t think of this as work; think of it as a way to sample that latest state of the art equipment without signing up for a long term contract as one would in their local physical fitness centre. Head to the gym early in the morning, when it’s practically empty.
4. Whether in the cabin, theatre or at dusk poolside, admission to a movie is always free. The best part is snacks are welcomed and many ships supply free popcorn and blankets to snuggle in for watching the big screen on deck.
5. Cruise ships are great places to learn a step or two without costing a quid. The variety of dance genres that the staff teaches can range from the Texas Cotton Eye Joe to the tango to the Electric Slide and everything else in-between.
6. Picture Perfect Don’t bother with photos taken by the ship’s photographer, which tend to be pricey. Instead, carry a camera at all times as photos can be taken anywhere, aboard the ship or in an exotic port. These photos will serve as a wonderful reminder of the holiday.
7. Putt Away It may not be the 18-hole course that golf enthusiasts are seeking but mini-golf is free. Normally located on the top-deck of many cruise, it is a great opportunity to practice putting and patience under the ship’s swaying at sea. Mini-golf competitions may also be scheduled.
8. That’s Entertainment Head to the theatre and get a close up view of Vegas-style revues with all the glitz and glamour of showgirls, singers and comedians. But there’s more…some cruise lines kick up West End/Broadway musicals for their guests and there is never a fee for two on the aisle.
9. Tour Take an opportunity in exploring on your own with a good guidebook in hand. There’s no need to go on a prearranged tour at every port of call, especially when many destinations can be easily explored by yourself. Most ports have shuttles for their passengers from the berth directly to the edge of town.
10. Viewing the Sunrise Although you might have to get up early to do this, its well worth going out to the deck as the sights that you will see will be remembered forever. The view of the sun glimmering on the water whilst rising over the horizon may seem like something out of a painting or film. It is all too real and is an awakening experience to begin a day of adventure.
You don’t need to pull out your wallet at every opportunity on a cruise and as described some of the best things to do and experience on a cruise holiday, as in life, are free.
Written by Veronica Shine
How do you save money on your cruise? Tell us below.